Field dependencies are filters that allow us to change the contents of a picklist based on the value of another field. For example, rather than displaying every value for Country in a single picklist, we can limit the values that are displayed based on a value for another field, like Continent. That way our users can find the appropriate country more quickly and easily.
Picklist fields can be either controlling or dependent fields. A controlling field controls the available values in one or more corresponding dependent fields. A dependent field displays values based on the value selected in its corresponding controlling field. In the previous example, the Continent picklist is the controlling field, while the Country picklist is the dependent field
- From the management settings for the object you want to add a field to, go to Fields.
Custom task and event fields are accessible from the object management settings for Activities.
- Click Field Dependencies.
- Click New.
- Choose a controlling field and dependent field.
- Click Continue.
- Use thefield dependency matrix to specify the dependent picklist values that are available when a user selects each controlling field value.
- Optionally, click Preview to test your selections. If your organization uses record types, choose a record type to test how it affects your controlling and dependent picklist values. The record type controls what values are available in the controlling field. The record type and the controlling field together determine what values are available in the dependent picklist. For example, a dependent value is only available if it is available in the selected record type and the selected controlling value.
- Click Save.
“Explore – Techila Global Services, A Salesforce development company”