While you may be proceeding with Salesforce development and seeking to load data in bulk, there could be several specifications and important factors to know. When you have a certain or small number of data to be loaded, you can do it easily by loading a CSV file. It is quite obvious that you would need something different when there are millions of records or data files that need to be loaded.
What is Salesforce Data Loader?
Data loader is an efficient tool that allows users to upload records over their Salesforce environment in large quantities. With this robust tool, users are provided with the option to choose between a simple wizard interface and the command-line interface for people who are technically updated. Here, files can be simply marked with the help of drag and drop features that come along the data loader. Users can upload data in bulk with utmost ease without having to worry whether it’s custom or standard.
Salesforce Data Loader vs. Web-Based Import Wizard
With Salesforce, there are multiple ways of getting the required data into the system. It may be considered to take a closer look at things to make out which one would be the best. If you are uploading data that consists of less than 50,000 records then you are likely to prefer doing in through the import wizard. However, there is an added requirement for the record type to be supported by the import wizard. There are some easy ways to find the most preferable import wizards. All you need to do is to enter “Data Management” in the quick find box available under support.
However if you have large amounts of records to deal with there may be no better way to do so but the data loader. Data Loader will rather act as your go-to-tool and friend while uploading records when you require uploading objects that may not be supported by the respective import wizards. Also, when you’re required to schedule data uploading on a regular basis, it may be a great decision to use the data loader.
Salesforce Data Loader for Importing Records
With the help of the data loaders you are allowed to update, upset, insert and delete data. Upserting is the combination of inserting and updating data within the records. This certainly implies that if the record within your file matches a pre-existing record within your CRM, the information contained in the file will be updated into the one already existing.
If there is no similar record existing then a new record will be created. This means that along with adding new records you can delete or modify records that may already exist. When you’re using a data loader, you can define what tasks you want to be performed.
Non-Conventional Use of Salesforce Data Loader
It is quite obvious that uploading data would be the conventional use of the Data Loader. However, there are instances where you’re required to conduct mass editing of considerable records. For instance, consider that you have a new trigger that needs to update information in collective records within Salesforce. In order to manipulate considerable records, you may have to look for tools or platforms that can help you with the same. You will have to conduct a mass edit and the data loader would subsequently trigger the logic. Moreover, it is important to understand what impacts these actions may have on you.
Step-by-step guide for using Salesforce Data Loader
If you are new with the use of Data Loader and the tools and features it offers, it would be considered to glance at a detailed guide to keep things in place and running smoothly. You may prefer getting through the tips mentioned below:
- You may click on insert, upsert, hard delete or delete based on the choices you prefer. The items that are deleted will not be restored further.
- Then, you would be required to log in, enter your username and password.
- Once you’ve logged in successfully, select the subject to which data needs to be uploaded. Therefore, if you require inserting account records, you may choose accounts. Similarly, if you need to update leads, choose leads.
- If in case, the object you want to upload does not show up in the list, you can click on show all objects and glance at the entire list of objects available.
- After selecting the object, click on browse and choose a considerable CSV file.
- All you need to do further is to click on “Next” and “Ok” after which the CSV file will start uploading.
- If you have made up your mind to upsert data, you need to ensure that your file consists of a column that can act as ID for considerable records.
- In other words, it can be addressed like a column within the CSV file against which the tool would check in the system.
- This column could be ID from the Salesforce record or an external ID. Select which field should be used in order to match; further, click next to continue.
- While using the data loader, it may also be important to define the manner in which columns would appear within your CSV file map to the Salesforce fields.
- You may create a new way of mapping records or utilize the one that already exists. Further, hit the finish and yes for confirmation.
Once you’ve used the data loader, a window would appear showcasing your results like the number of new records that have been created, deleted or updated, depending on what you had been doing.
While a quick description of steps to be followed is mentioned above, it would still be vital to grab deeper insights about the different concepts that are likely to be involved with Salesforce Development and the use of the data loader.
Some important operations with Salesforce Data Loader (Summarized)
Rather than beating around the bushes, it may be better to dig deeper into topics and obtain details that are apt and most suitable. Here are some major operations with Data loader that you need to know about:
In order to update records, click on update; login. Further, select the considerable CSV file that consists of updated records along with their IDs. Now select an object and finish the operation.
Upsert will also be the same as an update. However, it allows you to insert new records too. With the help of this operation, you can easily update existing records and add on new records suitably.
Exporting refers to downloading files from the organisation. Login using your credentials after clicking on the export button. Select objects that need to be exported. Also, specify the folder and where and how you want to save and where; finish the operation.
Deleting any data would remove it from your organization. In order to delete data, you will have to export the existing one along with its ID. With this file, the data can be deleted. Any data that is deleted using this operation is said to be available in the recycle bin. You may prefer hard delete option for deleting data permanently.
This guide will surely let you get better by using the features of Salesforce Data Loader.
“Chitiz Agarwal also known as “Kumar” is a Salesforce.com evangelist and architect who has more than 13 yrs of IT experience. He has worked with big MNCs like Accenture and IBM and now running Techila Global Services from last 7 yrs and grown the company to size of 150+. He has delivered more than 700 projects on Salesforce.com till date and participated from initial requirement understanding to final delivery. His twitter handle is @ChitizAgarwal”