We are heading towards the end of 2021 which has been a year of recoveries for most companies after the disastrous 2020. The COVID crisis affected the smooth functioning of organizations across the world, pushing them to the road of recovery in 2021. The following year is believed to be that of growth and development.
You cannot talk about organizational growth without talking about digitization. A range of digital tools and platforms have helped organizations and professionals in all major industries to streamline their processes. They allow users to steer away from the traditional and manual processes, helping them improve the quality of work by reducing the time and effort required to do the same.
The importance of software development has increased tremendously over the last few years. Some of the biggest companies in the world are willing to hire software developers to build and deploy powerful applications. Right from creating highly responsive websites to innovative digital platforms, software developers help their clients make the most of advanced technologies.
If you are willing to start a career in (or switch your career to) software development, here are some of the major trends to look out for in 2022:
Increasing Relevance Of AI and Machine Learning
Technologies like AI and machine learning are no longer considered to be niche and accessible by only a few high-end enterprises. They are implemented by companies operating at all scales and belonging to all major industries. These technologies involve a thorough assessment of big data and making machines think like humans. This provides additional support to organizations as AI and machine learning act as extensions of their employees.
These technologies have already gained momentum and their relevance is only going to increase in 2022. Right from providing personalized support to customers/employees to making smart assessments and forecasts, organizations across the board are looking for software developers to build robust developers to build AI and machine learning platforms.
Moreover, there has been a steady rise in the implementation of computer vision applications for monitoring public spaces with the help of cameras and sensors. The use of AI may help authorities to monitor social distance in a post-pandemic world.
One of the most effective uses of AI and machine learning has been that of making predictive analytics. The technologies are being used by organizations to analyze the behavior of their customers and predict their actions in a calculated manner. The use of AI algorithms is likely to increase when it comes to accessing sales data of multiple customers and ascertaining their preferences.
As digitization increases, so does the importance of cybersecurity. When more and more professionals and organizations start using shared digital platforms, there are always the risks of unauthorized access, data leaks, and fraud. Companies are already working on building digitized platforms for cybersecurity.
Here are some of the major cybersecurity trends that are likely to impact the world in the year to come:
1. 5G – As the next generation of mobile connectivity and networks, 5G is fairly complicated and new for developers to work on. It is bound to have a massive impact on connectivity, especially in the more remote areas that have been facing connectivity issues. 5G is likely to make communication and collaboration faster and more effective.
2. Cloud Breaches – The COVID crisis has resulted in many organizations across all industries switching to cloud-based platforms. It is advisable for the cloud service providers to prepare themselves for new challenges as there are high chances of cases revolving around cloud breaches are increasing.
3. Cyber Insurance – Increased use of digital platforms is likely to increase the need for cyber insurance. As the number of users increases on digitized tools and platforms increase, they would want their data to be secure and ensure that they are compensated in case of data losses.
4. Dealing With Cyberattacks – The need for tackling cyberattacks is only going to increase with time. Organizations across the world are likely to implement automated cybersecurity platforms that ensure the utmost privacy and security of their valuable data.
Higher Integration Of Internet Of Things
If you are not well-versed with technology, the internet of things (IoT) refers to the interconnectivity of digital devices with everyday objects with the help of the internet. IoT is already used actively in multiple industries due to its ability to gather large volumes of data from sensors, process the same, and filter it through cloud networks.
The use of IoT assured organizations with low failure, high security, and negligible delays in the transformation of data. In 2022, along with the conventional uses of IoT (predictive support, smart devices, home security systems, biometric systems, etc.), the technology is likely to find applications in industries like healthcare, education, and finance. It is also likely to be used by organizations in streamlining remote work.
Steady Development Of The Big Data Industry
Tech experts have often said that there are more bytes in the world than there are stars in the skies! The prominence of big data is only going to increase with every passing year. It is only a matter of time that businesses start optimizing the technology to optimize their day-to-day processes.
Here are the two major areas in which big data is likely to excel during the following year:
1. In-memory Computation – In-memory computation can be considered as an alternative way of speeding up business analytics. The most obvious advantage of this method is real-time data processing. Here, all your processes flow on the datasets stored within RAM. As a result, users can query data at a rate that is more than 100 times faster than any other existing solution! This would help organizations in making calculated decisions and acting on them immediately
2. Augmented Analytics – This is the method of using AI and machine learning tools to the existing business intelligence toolkits. This leads to a significant decrease in the time taken for cleaning and preparing your data. Augmented analytics would help businesses to receive daily insights from the tools and save a good amount of time for data scientists.
Rise In The Development Of Progressive Web Applications
App users are today are not willing to wait for the platform to download for a longer period of time. We live in an age of instant gratification. Progressive web applications (PWAs) are considerably faster and lighter for users to download quickly over the internet. As the services offered by them are similar to the native applications, the user experience is not hampered.
Moreover, progressive applications can be used offline, leading to higher user engagement once downloaded. Users of PWAs rarely face updating issues as they are automatically updated every time a user visits the application online.
When it comes to developing these apps, the process is quicker and more cost-effective as compared to developing conventional and native applications. This is because these applications do not require different versions and devices.
All these benefits offered by PWAs are likely to increase their prevalence and relevance in 2022.
Java And JVM To Continue Being Preferred Technologies
Since its entry into the world of software development in the mid-90s, Java has created its niche in the IT industry. It is regarded as one of the most powerful programming languages in the world, allowing developers to build and deploy highly responsive applications across multiple platforms.
The reason behind the popularity of Java lies in the fact that developers can “write once, run everywhere.” The high security levels of the programming language have persuaded some of the biggest organizations in the world to use it for software development, including Google, Amazon, and Microsoft.
However, its secure nature is not the only reason why Java is popular. It has much more to offer to developers and users, such as high stability, high flexibility, automatic memory allocation, a wide range of open-source libraries, wide use in Android app development, and much more.
The feature of Java Virtual Machine (JVM) provides the programming language with a high degree of platform independence. This is the reason why programming languages like Kotlin, Groovy, Scala, and more use JVM as their runtime. In terms of trust and stability, Java has no major competitors in the industry, it is likely to continue ruling the software development industry in 2022 as well.
Rise In Cloud-based Applications
Finally, a trend that is bound to continue in 2022 is the increasing prominence of cloud-based applications. Since the COVID crisis, organizations across the world have been shifting from traditional storage systems to cloud-based platforms. Looking at the rapid digitization of business processes across all sectors, it is safe to say that more companies will be added to the list of organizations switching to cloud-based platforms in 2022.
The Final Word
These were some of the most important software development trends and benefits to keep in mind as you venture into 2022. Understanding these trends would help you make informed decisions and equip yourself for the year of growth!