Custom objects are equivalent to database tables that allow you to store data or build a new application functionality. In the first step of creation, we fill the essential details . The remainder of the custom object creation page are permissions and properties of the object. These are placed in optional features section while creating the custom object.
- Allow Reports: Checking this box allows the object to be accessible in Salesforce reports. This box should always be checked.
- Allow Activities: When this box is checked, users will have the ability to create tasks and events on the record. If the business decides we don’t need to have activities on the object, it can always be removed.
- Track Field History: Enables the ability to track changes in specific field values. This is important for records where an “audit trail” of changes are needed. Activating field history tracking also allows you to generate a report on these changes.
Every custom object is now classified based on whether you can use a private sharing model, Bulk API, or Streaming API with it.
When you create custom objects, you can classify the object as a Light Application object or an Enterprise Application object by enabling or disabling the following settings.
- Allow Sharing
- Allow Bulk API Access
- Allow Streaming API Access
If these settings are enabled on an object, it’s an Enterprise Application object. If these settings are disabled on an object, it’s a Light Application object. The settings must all be enabled or all be disabled.
Objects created before Summer ’14 automatically have these settings enabled and are classified as Enterprise Application objects.
Deployed: This step assumes that you’re working in a development environment. If you’re not, and if you don’t want users to see the object after you click Save select In Development.
Development: Setting the status to In Development hides records from all users except those with the “Customize Application” user permission (that is, just about anyone who isn’t a System Administrator).
When this setting is enabled, users can find records of this object type when they search.
Object Creation Option:
- Add Notes & Attachments related list: Checking this box allows users to create notes and upload attachments to the record.
- Launch New Custom Tab Wizard: This option is only available when creating a new custom object. An object must be associated with a tab in order to be listed on the tab ribbon at the top of the page or to be accessible as a stand-alone object. There are instances when you may not want to create a custom tab, like if you want to force users to access the data only through a related record or if you have tab limits .
“Explore – Techila Global Services, A Salesforce development company”