One of the major questions that users have is pertaining to the fact of the possibility of new Lightning Web Components existing effectively along with the older Aura Components. In order to answer the question, you need to understand the two major ways in which users can now build Lightning Components:
- Aura Components – This is the classic Lightning model that involved enhances its own model and the templates it is comprised of, along with the model that deals with modular development programming.
- Lightning Web Components – These are the components that are built to add an additional layer of exclusive services and tools above the classic web standards breakthroughs that were prevalent in the previous years, namely Shadow DOM, custom elements, web components and more such components.
However, it is advisable to have a look at a reliable Lightning Components Developer Guide before developing the platform for your business.
Now, coming to the question of co-existence, you should know that Lightning Web Components and Aura Components can exist with each other without hampering any system’s operation. The manner and possibilities of their co-existence on your system are listed briefly here:
- Both Aura and Lightning Web Components can exist together on the same page of the concerned user interface.
- Aura Components also have provisions to include some or all Lightning Web Components.
- Certain basic Lightning components are shared by both Aura and Lightning Web Components. This is because the basic Lightning Components are already implemented and incorporated in the platform of Lightning Web Components.
- Certain underlying services such as User Interface API and Lightning Data Service are common in both Aura Components and Lightning Web Components, making sure there are no clashes in the system resulting due to different components.
If you are a developer, you can rest assured by the fact that you can easily build Lightning Web Components while you are using the Aura Model and its components. Your Aura Components will not be affected by the same. Both these components can work in sync with each other and your system will run as smoothly as it had been running before you got Lightning Web Components installed.
However, you can think of transferring some or all of your Aura Components to Lightning Web Components over a period of time in order to avoid any confusion of complications arising with the user while managing both the components simultaneously. While doing so, it is advisable not to shift all the components at once and start with the ones that would be benefitted the most by the performance of Lightning Web Components. Also, make sure you have enough Lightning Component Reference before you start with the migration, and get enough knowledge of the working of Lightning Web Components on Trailhead. Nevertheless, if you are new to Lightning and are getting a platform installed in your system for the first time, it is advisable to choose Lightning Web Components as it has all the services and tools provided by Aura Components while it is not the other way around.